23 AUGUST 2010
Charity Guild Celebrates Opening of Resale Shop Expansion
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kirksey Client Celebrates Opening of Expanded Resale Shop
HOUSTON, TX — The Charity Guild of Catholic Women held a dedication ceremony on August 22nd to celebrate the completion of their 14,000-sf expansion of the existing consignment and resale shop located off of Lovett Blvd. and Mt. Vernon Street. Built by Fretz Construction and designed by Kirksey, the building blends with existing architecture and provides an eye catching retail entry. Each year over 15,000 individuals shop at the Guild and the expanded facility will help boost sales and increase the funds available to grant assistance to children in need.
“More space creates the possibility of increased shop sales and more funding for the charities we support. This enlarged space also provides more room to take additional items from our consignors as well as providing a bigger variety of items for our customers to purchase. It is a win-win situation for all involved,” said Cheryl Malden, President of the Charity Guild.
Archbishop Emeritus Joseph A. Fiorenza led the dedication ceremony to officially open the new expansion and Charity Guild President Cheryl Malden and Past President Sally Moseley (2009-2010) spoke at the program. State Representative Ellen Cohen read a proclamation congratulating the Guild on its new expansion. Other attendees included retired Auxiliary Bishop Vincent M. Rizzotto and members of the clergy, representatives from Kirksey Architecture and Fretz Construction, along with several hundred Charity Guild members and invited guests. After the program, docents took visitors on tours of the new shop.
The “Building for the Future of a Child” capital campaign has brought this dream to a reality. It has been funded by eleven foundations, over 75% of the Guild Membership, and numerous Guild Shop customers and supporters.
The additional space will primarily be used for apparel sales dedicating the existing space for furniture and household item sales. The new building expansion houses a consignment drop off area devoted to apparel. Additionally, a unique prayer garden between both buildings was designed to encourage reflection and relaxation.
The Charity Guild of Catholic Women continues its legacy of service to the Houston community by supporting numerous organizations that help children, most notably the San Jose Clinic which has had the Guild’s unwavering support for over 88 years. In 1952, the Guild began a resale shop with 2 goals: to raise more funds to contribute to San Jose Clinic and other charitable organizations that serve children and to provide quality merchandise to families unable to afford high prices in retail stores. The Charity Guild is an all volunteer organization of dedicated women supporting the original mission statement: “to aid all children in the Houston area, regardless of race or creed."
Fretz Construction Company is an 87-year-old privately held construction firm, continuously owned and managed by the Fretz family since 1923. The firm has built its reputation serving a variety of religious, not-for-profit, educational, medical and historic restoration clients. Fretz Construction employs many second and third generation employees who know and respect the reputation of the firm and continue to provide their clients with the finest in skill and quality.
Kirksey is a Houston-based, sustainable architecture and interior design firm with more than 29 million sf of LEED® projects in their portfolio. Team-based in structure, Kirksey serves Commercial, Collegiate, Community, pK-12, Government, Healthcare, Hospitality, Religious, Science & Technology, and Multi-Family Residential markets. For more information, visit www.kirksey.com.