This year Kirksey celebrated Earth Day with a week of education that focused on a specific aspect of Kirksey's in-office commitment to sustainability and our planet each day of the week. 

To kickoff the week,  Kirksey launched a new component to our office recycling program.

To preface the need for such a program, check this out: of about 300 million tons of plastic produced annually, just 10% of that is appropriately recycled or reused (according to the Earth Day Network.) The remaining 90% ends up in landfills or littering our natural environment where it compromises our soil and water, endangering both people and wildlife.

To do our part, we introduced plastic bag recycling! There is now an onsite location where employees can recycle several different types of soft plastic.

Day two launched with Kirksey Composting 101.

The office had an existing composting bin adjacent to the Kirksey garden but this year we added a new green composting bin in the break room for all of Kirksey's composting needs. 

What is composting?  

Composting is a natural process of recycling organic material which enriches soil and helps reduce the need for chemical fertilizers.

What can go in the composting bin?

Fruit and vegetable scraps, tea bags, coffee grounds, and filters, egg shells 

What cannot go in the composting bin?

NO animal products (meat, bones), oil, fat, grease, dairy, or sweets (including baked goods) 

Day three was all about recycling!

Kirksey has recently rolled out an updated recycling program! At Kirksey, we believe sustainable design is our responsibility. As such, we should do more than just talking about sustainability; we need to walk the walk in our office. The Recycling program is one way to do that, and we need everyone to take part!

Why do we recycle? Well, it conserves natural resources, reduces carbon emissions, minimizes landfills, reduces energy usage, and creates jobs.

How do we recycle at Kirksey? We offer designated recycling bins for all of the items listed below.

Kirksey Recycling Breakdown

Hard Plastic (except for #6)
Plastic Bags (in the correct bin, you can recycle clean and dry store bags, dry cleaning bags, shrink wrap/stretch film, zip lock bags, and cereal bags!)
Compost (tea bags, coffee grounds, egg shells, fruit and vegetable scraps)
Glass (no broken glass or kitchenware, please!)
Electronics (small computer-related items only)
Paper (no wet or soiled paper, please!)
Cardboard (same rule as paper, no food residue!)
Batteries (household batteries only!)

If you’re just beginning your recycling journey, here’s a pro tip! Don’t forget to rinse any food waste off the items you plan to recycle. Please don't let the need to rinse deter you from recycling; it is a worthy use of your time!


Day four was all about the Kirksey Garden!

Just beyond the famed Kirksey Putting Green, you will find the well-cared for Kirksey Garden.

What are we growing? A lot, such as: Cantaloupe, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Peppers (Cheyanne, Bell), Eggplant, Tomatoes, Cucumbers.  Watermelon, Pumpkins, Okra, Southern Peas, Basil, Parsley, Sage, Oregano, Thyme.

Who is on the team? Currently, our gardeners are Julie Hendricks, Katherine Ruiz, Caleb Richers, and Kathleen Jircik. The garden is a labor of love and really only requires a little bit of time every couple of days. 

What kind of work goes into a company garden? Just three things: watering as needed, weeding, and composting!


Day five closed out Earth Week with a spotlight on alternative transportation. 

Did you know?

  1. Percent of Americans who drive to work alone: 78%
  2. It costs 26.2 cents per mile to drive a car (that is just gas and wear-and-tear combined)
  3. The average driver wastes 42 hours in traffic jams a year and loses $1,400 idling away gas
  4. Percent of traffic that would die down if everyone carpooled or took alt. transportation once 
  5. To do our part in addressing those issues, Kirksey has an alternative transportation program that includes: telecommuting, carpooling, and public transportation.